While planning for retirement, many individuals focus on the cash they’ll require to support themselves and their family after they quit working. What couple of individuals prepare for is the possibility that they will have to pay for their senior parent’s nursing house expenses. Though not extensively reported, about 30 states have laws that permit assisted living home and other extended care facilities to pursue the adult kids of someone staying in the care center.

In some states, these laws, referred to as filial duty laws, provide extended care centers the right to take legal action against adult children to recover overdue bills.
While filial responsibility laws vary substantially in between states, and just about 20 states have arrangements that permit nursing houses or extended care facilities to take legal action against adult relatives of patients, they supply further incentives for anybody to begin estate planning and extended care or Medicaid planning as quickly as possible.

Under Federal law, states can’t pursue member of the family if a moms and dad is eligible for Medicaid protection. With a Medicaid plan, senior parents can both maintain some of their possessions and utilize Medicaid to spend for long-lasting care expenditures without running the risk of the nursing home pursuing their children to pay for expenditures.
The states in which filial responsibility laws exist have hesitated to impose these laws although they have been there for decades. As medical care costs continue to increase and the current recession has actually left less individuals able to pay for extended living expenses, we might see a rise in the number of suits resulting from care facilities taking legal action against adult children of senior clients.